Worried about changing oil in your vehicle? We’ve got some simple tricks to make it smoother.
- Before you being the process, examine the engine. In case the engine is cold start your vehicle and let it run for five minutes in order to warm the oil. If the engine is too hot, wait for at least 30 minutes to avoid hassles.
- Make sure not to use an adjustable wrench or socket on the drain plug. Use the properly sized box-end wrench, usually metric, for the plug.
- Make sure to use jack stands always. Never work under a car that’s supported by a jack only and use new oil to coat the oil filter gasket before spinning it on.
- Always hand-tighten the filter. Never use a filter wrench.
- Line up all the oil bottles you’ll need for the fill so you don’t lose count along the way.